Logo

Orchids at the Minnesota Zoo

Posted by Jordan | Tuesday, May 06, 2008 | , , , | 2 comments »


The Tropics Trail at the Minnesota Zoo features some beautiful tropical plants to make the animals feel more at home. While certain areas of the zoo seem to need some work and while it seems unnecessary to have so many animals enclosed in small areas in captivity, there were some lovely orchids and passion flowers to make the zoo experience more enjoyable. The Minnesota Zoo has a website that discusses their orchids here if you want to read more about their orchid collection.

Unfortunately, the pictures I took weren't the greatest since I was trying to keep up with Annah and the rest of our group, but here are the few pictures I took during our stroll through Tropics Trail.

We have not yet tried to grow any of our own orchids yet, but they are such beautiful plants that we might have to try growing some one of these days.




Photo Credits: Jordan

2 comments

  1. Jane O' // May 8, 2008 at 4:58 PM  

    I've been itching lately to try some orchids. Right now I need to put my money outside, but as soon as I get settled with that, you might have just tempted me to buy at least one plant.

  2. Anonymous // May 13, 2008 at 1:09 AM  

    Go for it! Try a Cymbidium they can live in the cold. I am trying them here in FL but to force a spike n late summer I will try watering w/ ice water. We will see. Phalaenopsis are very easy also. The can live inside on a window sill and still be very happy. Hope to see 1 in your future. But be careful they are addicting!