Logo


NOTE: Due to the high number of pictures in this post, the page might take a while to load for those of you with dial-up connections!

One afternoon while vacationing along the Oregon Coast this past August, Annah and I visited Shore Acres State Park, which is located in Coos Bay. The reason why we were in Coos Bay, Oregon in the first place was to visit my paternal grandmother who lives out there. My parents and I had been to Shore Acres State Park before during previous visits out there, but it is a nice and quaint destination which was exactly what we were looking for one afternoon.

Here is a little description of Shore Acres State Park from The Friends of Shore Acres website (http://www.shoreacres.net/)

Perched on a scenic bluff above the Pacific Ocean, Shore Acres began as a private estate with luxurious gardens featuring trees, shrubs, and flowering plants brought from around the world aboard the sailing ships of pioneer lumberman and shipbuilder Louis J. Simpson.

[The Gardens Include:]
  • Hundreds of spring bulbs and daffodils - late Feb. thru March
  • 5,000 tulips - late March thru April
  • Hundreds of rhododendrons and azaleas - April thru mid-May
  • 5,000 flowering annuals/perennials - May thru Sept.
  • 600 rose bushes - June thru Sept.
  • 250 dahlias - Aug. thru mid-Oct.
  • 250,000 or more holiday lights (almost all L.E.D.)- Thanksgiving thru New Year's Eve.
  • Hundreds of spring bulbs and daffodils - late Feb. thru Mar.

The weather that day was in 60s, cloudy, and lightly misting. Although sunshine would have been nice, this light mist created an environment that was very calm and soothing. The peak time for the sensational rose blossoms had already passed by, but there were plenty of other flowers to look at and photograph. We were also able to see some rabbits and a friendly chipmunk. It was delightful!

If you are ever out along the Oregon Coast and want to do something other than visiting the beaches or going fishing, then you should check out this wonderful little state park in Coos Bay!

Enjoy the pictures!









































3 comments

  1. Signe // October 30, 2008 at 4:14 AM  

    Hello from Norway. You have some vondreful pictures here.

  2. Jordan // October 30, 2008 at 10:06 AM  

    Hello Signe,

    What a wonderful surprise to have a visitor from Norway!

    I checked out your blog and you have beautiful pictures but I cannot read Norwegian. I am 1/4 Norwegian but I was never taught the language by my relatives. Maybe someday I can read your blog! Thanks!

  3. Signe // October 30, 2008 at 4:45 PM  

    Sorry that you cant read my blogg. If I was beter in english I might wrote some of it in english. Maybe some time I will try to.

    Norwegian is unfortunately not easy to learn, and I can understand that your realtives was using only english. Most kids find it dificult to speak to languages.

    Nice that you liked my pictures. I am looking forward to follow your blog.