Logo

Schlumbergera truncataIf you have been reading this blog since last winter you will be happy to know that the Schlumbergera truncata (or Thanksgiving Cactus/Holiday Cactus) that I rooted and planted in a plastic cup -- (Read about it here and then in a subsequent post) -- is doing well and is currently flowering.


The Beginning of the Project: January 2008

In order to demonstrate how far this plant has progressed since I started this project in January, here are the photos from when I first started this project:




The cuttings were planted in their own plastic cup "pot" in the end of February. They survived the move to the house Annah and I are renting and have been growing in their new location since the middle of August.

The First Flower:

The cooler temperatures in last month or two have done wonders for all of the Schlumbergera truncata's (Thanksgiving Cacti) at our house and this is only the first of many blooms at our house. (The pictures below are close-ups of the flower shown at the top of this post)

Schlumbergera truncata
Schlumbergera truncata
This is the second Schlumbergera truncata post in recent weeks and will surely not be the last. Look forward for more to come in the upcoming weeks! Don't worry though, I will be posting about other houseplants/flowers besides Schlumbergera truncata's!

4 comments

  1. Anonymous // November 26, 2008 at 3:02 PM  

    What a pretty flower! Although it seems as if everyone's Christmas Cacti are flowering closer to Thanksgiving than Christmas!

  2. Anonymous // December 1, 2008 at 1:51 PM  

    Congratulations!

    I've never had luck with rooting Christmas Cacti, but that's mostly because someone always seems to want to help me clean up and throws away my cuttings.

    I guess that's what happens when you try to root plants while you're moving.

  3. Anonymous // December 20, 2008 at 5:40 PM  

    Congrats. It is always a thrill to see a plant you nursed along sart to bloom. Especially one you grew from cuttings.

  4. dmnarayana // November 16, 2015 at 5:06 AM  

    I've never had luck with rooting Christmas Cacti, but that's mostly because someone always seems to want to help me clean up and throws away my cuttings."Debenhams Discount Code