Logo

Aphelandra squarrosa ("Zebra Plant")

Posted by Jordan | Thursday, December 06, 2007 | , | 5 comments »


(It's a beautiful plant, isn't it?)

This isn't my plant, but it sits right outside of my office and I help take care of it. This plant actually belongs to the brother of my Boss at work. It has been growing next to a window where it gets sun in the afternoon and it currently has a beautiful bright yellow flower on it and there is perhaps another one on the way!

I just love the dark green color this plant has and I will have to purchase one for myself and see if I can have as much success!

Photo Credit: Me

5 comments

  1. Julie // January 3, 2008 at 6:40 AM  

    WOW...Ive never seen the bloom of a zebra plant...it is very bright yellow...very cool!

  2. pennyndoug // March 16, 2008 at 12:50 PM  

    We just purchased one of these plants and live in Seattle, WA. Can you tell me the best means of caring for this plant as it came with NOTHING!!! It seems to be VERY thirsty and once a week watering is not enough. Thoughts?

    Penny

  3. d'MoniqueRenee // August 22, 2008 at 10:08 PM  

    I did not know anything about this plant when I purchased a zebra plant from Wal-mart a year ago. I live in Florida and my home gets a lot of sunlight. I water the plant every other day and it has grown from 6" inches to 2" feet as well as produced four (4) saffron flowers. Two last year after my initial purchase and two again in July and August of '08.

    Good Luck with your Zebra Plant!

  4. d'MoniqueRenee // January 3, 2009 at 6:23 PM  

    Just an update from my post in August...

    Not knowing anything about this plant I picked the only one that was not have a yellow bud. Before November it had bloomed twice. In 2008 my plant sprouted two more blooms between March and July. Most recently in early late October to December of 2008 my "Precious" sported (5)five Saffron Towers.

    Just last week I cut it back to 3 which still look great in January 2009 and is 24 inches tall. I water this plant every other day. I use Schultz 10.15.10 Plant Food Plus.

    I continue to be amazed by my Zebra's development

  5. dmnarayana // November 18, 2015 at 12:44 AM  

    The flowers are AWESOME!! What a lovely gift. I would love one and the 3months of Cricut Circle. Debenhams Discount Code