Logo

(Left to Right: Adromischus cristatus and Lithops leslie 'albinica'.)

If any of you follow the number of houseplants that Annah and I own, which is to the right under the "About Us" section, you might have noticed that we recently surpassed the 100 plant mark. We finally reached this "milestone" this past weekend on Saturday when we were up at Linder's Nursery where I purchased a Lithops leslie 'albinica' and a Adromischus cristatus ("Crinkle-Leaf Plant") and both of these were small and easy to transport. I had seen and read about the Lithops in this post at PATSP and this post at Water When Dry (and then her second post) and it seemed like an interesting plant. The Adromischus cristatus or "Crinkle-Leaf Plant" is in the Crassulaceae family and it produces some intriguing flowers.


On Sunday we then purchased two more plants (#101 and #102) that we saw at the HyVee Grocery Store in the Floral Department where they were having a sale on Tropical Plants for $11.98, which seemed like a decent price for some decent looking plants, so we bought a Monstera deliciosa (PATSP post about this wonderful plant here) which is the plant in the photo on the top and a Strelitzia alba ("White Bird of Paradise") which is the photo on the bottom.

Space is starting to become an issue so I'm not sure how much longer this plant-buying obsession can continue. We should be fine as long as we stick to smaller plants.


This is the first post regarding our houseplants for quite some time and it won't be the last. We are currently working on other houseplant posts that will be posted in the future.

Update (05/28/08): We are back to 100 houseplants now since my Spathiphyllum ("Peace Lily") and Annah's Pachira aquatica (Braided "Money Tree") have died.

Photo Credits: Annah and Jordan

4 comments

  1. mr_subjunctive // May 22, 2008 at 7:09 PM  

    Yep. That's how it starts. First a couple, then a few more, then you clear off a table to use for plants, and then suddenly you've got 400 of them and watering takes six hours.

    Also: after perusing the lists, I have the following comments:

    1. What's the deal with all the Fittonias?
    2. How's the Hemigraphis holding up? I've been curious about them from time to time but haven't tried yet because I hear humidity is an issue. True?
    3. You need a Yucca elephantipes.
    4. And a Dracaena 'Riki' (sometimes 'Rikki' or 'Ricki').

  2. Aiyana // May 22, 2008 at 11:32 PM  

    Where do you keep them all? Back in the olden days ('70s) it was very popular to have a house full of houseplants. Every store, cafe, etc. also had numerous indoor plants. I just burned out on having all those plants and in the ensuing years, I've kept my indoor collection very sparse. It certainly didn't carry to the outside though!
    Good luck with your new acquistions. I'll be curious as to how you do with them.
    Aiyana

  3. Jordan // May 23, 2008 at 8:44 AM  

    Mr. Subjunctive, to answer your questions:

    1. I think the reason why we have so many Fittonias is because they are small, cheap, they look nice, and they are rather easy to take care of. With that being said, I don't think we'll be buying any more anytime soon.
    2. The Hemigraphis exotica has been holding up well. Humidity has not really been an issue thus far, although the plant will got mad if I don't water it every couple of days.
    3. I almost purchased a Yucca elephantipes this past weekend but I didn't know where we would put it. I will have to look around again to see if I can find another Yucca somewhere.
    4. I looked up a Dracaena 'Riki' and that looks like another plant I'll have to look for. Thanks for the Suggestions!

    Aiyana, to answer your question:

    Annah and I currently do not live in the same house, so she has her apartment to grow her plants and I have parts of my parent's house to grow my plants in. We are planning on moving in to our own place very soon. Once that happens our indoor plant collection will likely increase but depending on what kind of yard we'll have our outdoor plants might decrease. Whenever we do move to our own place we'll post about it on here, so keep reading!

  4. Tracy // May 26, 2008 at 2:01 AM  

    WooHoo!! Congrats!! I was there about 200 plants ago too....lol. It only gets worse.....but it's so much fun!!

    Lovin' the blog!