Logo


You may remember my post on September 9th regarding my garden vegetables and an experiment I was doing which involved growing two banana pepper plants in pots out on the patio. Well, I was finally able to pick all of them the night before the first frost about two weeks ago. The results of this experiment were pretty good with the plants producing about 30 or so banana peppers for us to eat. Unfortunately I was not able to take a picture of the full harvest and as of now only a handful of peppers are left. We have been using them in several meals such as a stir fry one night, burritos, and basically anything that seems like it needs banana peppers.

I decided to include a recipe in this post which used some of these banana peppers. I like to be adventurous and try different combinations with my recipes and the other night I developed an interesting concoction for dinner.

The recipe included:

  • 1 Flour Tortilla
  • 1 Handful of Mixed Baby Greens
  • 2-3 Banana Peppers, sliced or chopped
  • 1-2 Tomatoes, chopped
  • 4-5 Pieces of Tender Cactus (Strange? Yes, but I like to try new things.)
  • Cheese, as much as you want

Heat this up in the microwave until warm then add the following:
  • 1 Teaspoon of Sour Cream
  • 1 Teaspoon of Green Tomatillo Sauce
  • A sprinkle of Cayenne Pepper powder

Anyway, I just thought I'd post this interesting recipe, you should try it if you want!

3 comments

  1. Unknown // October 30, 2008 at 8:58 AM  

    What exactly was the experiment, just to grow peppers in pots? I grow all types of peppers in pots on the back deck and have more than we can use, freeze or give a way. Or were you trying to get a different species of pepper, because that will happen next year if you just cut them back they will come back in that pot.

  2. Jordan // October 30, 2008 at 9:58 AM  

    Hi Darla, I guess it was more of a personal experiment for us since had not grown peppers in a pot before. We had always done very well with peppers grown in the garden but this was the first year where we decided to pot a few extra seedlings which I had started in the spring.

    Additionally, I wasn't sure if I would be able to grow the potted peppers here in Minnesota or on a part of the patio that only received a moderate amount of sunlight.

    I guess I should have clarified that in the post, but now that I know I can grow potted peppers here I will do that in the future!

    Thanks for the comment! You have a great blog with beautiful pictures!

  3. Anonymous // March 13, 2009 at 8:24 AM  

    What size pot did you use? I am trying this too. I heard that sweet banana peppers were finicky and didn't like it too hot. Where I live, it can get almost 100 with no rain for weeks sometimes. So I thought a pot might be better where I could control things a little more for it.